Saturday, August 13, 2011

The Show Must Go On!

Act: 1 Scene: Infinity

When it comes to playing the role of a lymie the curtain is never called. The show is never over because this is no show, this is life. Living with Lyme is a 24/7 job, definitely not a part time gig. Living with Lyme does involve acting sometimes, for me at least. Before I was correctly diagnosed doctor after doctor after psychologist told me straight to my face I was faking being sick for the attention and that I needed to stop doing “this" to my parents. Well obviously they were all idiots. However this caused me to become a very introverted person and I forced myself not to show how bad I felt or how much pain I was in because I didn't want my parents to be mad at me or think I was making myself sick.
Still today I have taught myself to deal with my pain so that I don't cry (after all crying only makes you hurt worse) and I put on a smile and silently grimace through the pain when I have to act like a living human being. Sometimes the show just has to go on! This isn't always the best thing to do because pushing yourself usually leads to a huge crash and burn, in my experience at least. 

In my opinion all chronically ill people are award winning actors! The fact that we get up and take a shower some days without a huge dramatic sobbing and screaming in anguish scene is us acting our asses off. And to think that some lymie’s still keep full time jobs and take care of their families is amazing! Other people may not see how hard it is and appreciate our small accomplishments, but for us every mile stone is a big deal! We may complain from time to time but trust me, and I think all my other lymie’s would agree, if all we do is complain sometimes about how crappy we feel that is a huge accomplishment of not letting the disease and pain take over us! If we were perfectly honest about how we truly felt all the time we would be running around screaming bloody murder, then we really would get locked up in the crazy house. 

So to all my chronically ill actors and actresses, take a bow because you deserve a standing ovation! Keep fighting your fight because one day the curtain will draw to a close and the lights will be shining down on you to reward you for your great performances! You are all true stars living in the lyme light.

No comments:

Post a Comment