Sunday, November 20, 2011

True meanings...


When the holiday season comes around I am always filled with mixed emotions. As a child, before I was sick, I loved the holidays! Thanksgiving was filled with rituals of getting up early to watch the parade on tv and going to my grandmother’s house for a wonderful feast with family. And the day after Thanksgiving was the day to break out the Christmas decor and deck the halls while blasting the Christmas music! Christmas was much of the same with an additional Christmas Eve dinner at my other grandmothers then waking up at 4 am and screaming for my parents to wake up so we could go see our presents. Now, even though I still love the holidays and the sense of joy they bring, they also bring stress. I have not been able to enjoy a holiday dinner for several years and for the past few years the sheer smell of meat sickens me. Now I lay in my dark cave of a room until the dinner is over then I join the party, most often clothed in my newest pair of pajamas. In the end however, thanksgiving is not about the fancy feast. Thanksgiving is about being able to spend time with your family, friends, and love ones while acknowledging the small things in life that usually go unnoticed. I am forever grateful for my family, friends, state of health (be it as poor as it is, it could be worse) and even the small things like my cozy pajamas, my homemade organic applesauce, and my dark sunglasses. So be thankful for whatever you have, as small or grand as it may be!

No comments:

Post a Comment