Saturday, August 17, 2013

Stepping Back Through The Looking Glass


Would you go back to the other side? 



If you were given the opportunity to step through a looking glass, going back to a time before you fell ill and erasing your life as you now know it, would you take the leap?
Would you take the chance to start over and live your life again without the pain and suffering you have endured without any knowing of what your life would have become? 

When your memories of being happy and healthy are things of the past and a chronic illness has devoured a significant part of your life being presented with the chance to wish it all away and start anew would be an almost irresistible offer. Being able to live the life you always imagined and becoming the person you always wanted to be with no reminders of the tragedies you have had to endure would be a blissful way to live. Having all your possible wants and desires come into fruition and not knowing any other way of life would be as if all your wishes upon falling stars and birthday candles had come true. 

Take a moment to think though...
Would you be willing to lose what you have learned throughout your life’s trials and tribulations? All the lessons you have been taught would not be remembered nor the wisdom or patience you have gained throughout your illness. Would overlooking all the negative in your life be worth disregarding all the good too? 

If the opportunity was given to me to step back through my own looking glass, and my life as it is now would be forgotten, I am not sure I would accept the offer. Even though my life has been one of difficulties and challenges and I would love for it to be simpler and more vivacious, I would not want to jeopardize the understanding of life I have come to obtain nor the amazing people that have been placed in my life because of my illness. I firmly believe my life was given to me to endure for a purpose. I may not know that purpose now, perhaps I never will, but I accept it for what it is and try to see the good that has come from the bad. I like to think that because of what I have had to go through that I have become a kinder hearted person that tries not to judge people so quickly and to understand others more deeply. 

Aside from all the pain, suffering and unexpected directions your life has taken you, haven’t you gained some things from your illness? Considering this is real life and we are unable to take a step back in time through a looking glass to a new beginning we must take time to remember the positive things in our lives, whether those lives are of good health or bad. So take a look in the mirror at yourself and your life as a whole and truly see what you have to be thankful for. 

1 comment: