Saturday, April 20, 2013

Why I OWN My Disease... and It Doesn’t Own Me!



Some people may see medical diagnoses as defects of their bodies or as if something is wrong with them. Diagnoses may be used as labels and defining factors to dishearten people instead of instructions to help heal them.
When you own your disease or when you own any situation, it gives you a sense of control over something that may be completely uncontrollable. ‘Owning’ those circumstances allows you to determine how you will let them affect your life. Will you let those challenges crush you or will you stand strong against the storm? It may not be “mind over matter” but your mind most certainly does matter!

When you are faced with any stressful event in life there is always an attuning period that one needs to readjust and focus. Being diagnosed with a new medical condition is exactly the same. You need time to accept what has happened, embrace the changes you will need to make in your life, and then learn to deal with it so that it doesn’t own you. I personally don’t think any of those three stages are ever 100% completed because your life is ever-changing but by striving to achieve those three things you are ‘OWNing’ your life! Use your new found sense of ‘owning’ to be self empowering to help heal yourself and evoke positivity upon others. (‘Owning’ however isn’t arrogance or ignorance!!! Be confident and courageous, not cocky and conceited!)

I have chosen to ‘OWN’ my life; as diseased, multi-diagnosed, or strayed it may be from where I imagined it would have taken me. A lot of people find receiving a diagnosis very comforting, it was for me. If for no other reason, finally having a name to blame for the misunderstood torture I had endured for so many years was relieving. Had I not been diagnosed, I don’t even want to imagine were I would be and I certainly wouldn’t have made the steps forward (as small as they may sometimes seem) to becoming healthy again.


 ‘OWN’ your disease, don’t let it own you! You don’t have to like how your illness has impacted your life or be cheery all day but don’t let the disease take over you! Take control of it, ‘OWN’ it and fight for your own future because you can’t change the past!  

No comments:

Post a Comment